Thursday, July 22

Toilet Trouble

My kids are complainers. There is no way to sugarcoat it. Even the slightest bit of work causes them to moan and whine. When the murmurs start to fly, my standard way to deflect them is to say, in an equally whiny voice, "Ooohhh, double double toil and trouble!" I was surprised one day to have Son #1 shoot back at me "Cauldron burn and cauldron bubble!" I asked how he knew the next line and he said "They said it on Mythbusters." Oh. I guess they're learning more than how to blow stuff up. I rounded out this "education" by explaining to them that it was a very well-known line from the Shakespeare play "MacBeth". I felt satisfied that I had taught them something and that they were just the tiniest bit more culturally literate for my having done so. Until a few days later, that is.
Once again, the whining started. I had dared to ask them to help me pair up the socks while I folded laundry. That's how mean I am. Anyway, as I began my mantra, the same Son #1 cut me off mid sentence and said "Yeah, yeah, double double toilet trouble." Stifling laughter I asked, just to make sure, "What did you say?" "Double double toilet trouble." I can accept him thinking that's what they were saying on Mythbusters...but that's what he thinks I've been saying all this time. Why would I say toilet trouble? That would make sense if I was complaining about one of them forgetting to flush, but not when work is the issue. I clarified for him that the phrase is toil and trouble, not toilet trouble. He agreed this made more sense and now understood why I say that when they complain about work.
I wonder what other stuff they think I'm saying? I'm not sure I even want to know.

2 comments:

  1. thought of this recently when the boys were complaining and again when the toilet was stopped up

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear my kids aren't the only ones to complain when we ask them to help out. Although I was informed after the first day of school that I was a horrible mom! My daughters homework was to read 15 minutes and I had her finish the story and it took 26 minutes total. Then I asked her to take a bath and wash her hair before bed and she started screaming, "why are you stressing me out!". Guess the 1st day of 2nd grade was a little more overwhelming than I thought.

    ReplyDelete